After a great 2017, we are off to an even better 2018!
- Our first Skate Night of the year will be held Friday January 19 in the FRES gym.
- February 1 will be holding our first ever Game Night. This event is an opportunity to come out and play premium board games (for free!) with other families in the community. Bring a pot luck dish and make an evening of it! Get all the details here.
- Don’t forget our February PTO meeting February 8 at 6:30 pm in the FRES library.
In news, FULL DAY KINDERGARTEN is under discussion at the School Board and Budget Committee for 2018-19. This is an important issue that deserves attention. Parents are urged to take the opportunity to learn about the options under discussion and voice their opinions to the board. Reviewing the draft minutes from the January 9 meeting, it appears that some new questions of if/how full day kindergarten could be implemented. After a motion to put full day k into the budget, it appears that motion was retracted. Among the options remaining, it appears that tuition based full-day kindergarten is under consideration. Nothing is yet decided, so please take the time to attend the joint School Board & Budget Committee meeting January 23 at 6:30 pm at WLC.
Spring is coming and that means we will be enjoying another Artist In Residence at FRES. This year, our art teacher Mr. Lamers has arranged for potter Shana Brautigam of Rooted In Clay to work with our students. She will be teaching grades 3-5 about the oldest methods of working with and firing clay. First and second graders will get a chance to participate and make their own air-dry pots.
Lastly, we are building a network of folks who might like to help forming a Green Initiative & Earth Day event. We are just beginning to explore our options, so this could mean anything from a community cleanup day, to student gardens, to reducing cafeteria waste. Join us for a PTO meeting to start planning!
We Need Your Help!
Have some fun and lend a hand. We’re looking for help for the following events:
- Skate Night January 19
- Skate Guards & ticket sales
- Game Night & Potluck February 1
- Setup, breakdown, and potluck chefs!
- School Board/Budget Committee Meeting January 23
- Attend, learn, and report back to the group on what’s new with Full Day K and other initiatives considered by the board
To volunteer simply contact a board member or attend a meeting!